The club have allowed 2016/17 marquee and Johnny Warren medal third-place getter Nico Martinez to return to Olympiacos following his loan spell.

Wanderers were reliant on top scorer Brendon Santalab (14 goals) in attack last A-League season, with the next best return coming from Martinez with four strikes.

Western Sydney have also let go attacking-minded players Mitch Nichols, Mario Shabow and Ryan Griffiths this off-season.

Wanderers chief executive John Tsatsimas told FourFourTwo the club were on the lookout for a 2017/18 marquee to bolster their attacking options.

β€œWe’re looking at a number of exciting options,” Tsatsimas said.

β€œCertainly I’d say stay tuned in that space.”

The club has had a mixed history with marquees, which includes Federico Piovaccari, along with Shinji Ono, Dario Vidosic and Matt Spiranovic.

β€œThe marquee is something we want to get right,” Tsatsimas said.

β€œIt’s no secret he’ll be in the front third. But we’re looking forward to announcing something exciting in the near future.”

2016/17 marquee Nico Martinez

Wanderers have two visa spots remaining in their squad. The club has already signed Dutch midfielder Roly Bonevacia from Wellington Phoenix.

Michael Thwaite, Josh Risdon and John Hall have also been signed.

β€œWe’re excited by the acquisitions we’ve made so far for the roster,” Tsatsimas said.

Wanderers made a bid to sign ex-Socceroos striker Scott McDonald in January and he is now a free agent, although Tsatsimas wouldn’t be drawn on individuals.

Former Wanderers captain Nikolai Topor-Stanley joined Newcastle Jets on a two-year deal on Wednesday.