South defeated Green Gully 2-1 in a game that never reached the highest standard.

A brace from the league's top goal scorer Fernando De Moraes proved to be the difference between the two teams.

His opener came from the penalty spot after Mile Medjedovic fouled Joseph Youssef in the area.

The Cavaliers hit back five minutes later, with midfielder Andy Vargas putting in a fine through ball for Gary Wales to finish as Peter Zois advanced.

The game had fizzled out after a fast-paced opening before De Moraes broke it open after the break.

A quality long pass from South captain Ramazan Tavsancioglu put De Moraes behind the defence before he struck a super volley over Ken Gerohristodoulou.

South Melbourne hung on for its first win despite a flurry of late opportunities for Green Gully.

Hume City continued its impeccable start to the season with a 2-0 win over the Melbourne Knights.

A Michael Bosevski free kick late in the first half produced an error from Knights keeper Antony Loncaric to make it 1-0.

After the break, player-coach Andy Vlahos doubled the lead after a superb first touch inside the area, making four wins from four for City.

Oakleigh consolidated its spot atop the table, making it three wins on the trot with a 3-1 win over the struggling Dandenong Thunder.

The Thunder made the early running and was rewarded with the opening goal of the game inside 10 minutes.

Ibraim Ibraimi put a cut back from Joseph Di Iorio past former Brisbane Roar goalkeeper Griffin McMaster.

But the Cannons responded just after the half hour with striker Jerry Karpeh equalizing with a fine strike from the edge of the area.

Oakleigh was awarded a penalty 20 minutes into the second half after a foul by Enes Sivic.

Experienced striker Michael Curcija stepped up to score for the second time in as many games and make it 2-1.

With Thunder pushing for a point, the Cannons produced a sealing goal through substitute striker Ricky Diaco in the 88th minute.

Richmond continued its fine start to the season with a 2-1 win over the last-placed Heidelberg United.

Former Warriors defender Erhan Karahan was sent off inside five minutes, leaving Richmond a man down.

But in-form striker Daniel Visevic continued his hot-streak in front of goals with the opener on 22 minutes.

Heidelberg's response came after the interval, with 23-year-old Osagie Ederaro making it 1-1 with his third goal of the season.

Richmond substitute Peter Sawan had the final say with the winning goal five minutes before full time.

On Sunday, Northcote City scored its first win of the season with a hard-fought 1-0 win over Altona Magic at Paisley Park.

Despite being without leading goal scorer Trent Rixon (osteitis pubis), City scored through James Kalifatidis after Magic was reduced to 10 men with Sime Kovacevic sent off.

In the final game of the round, Bentleigh made it two wins in a row with a 2-0 win over Sunshine George Cross.

Goals from strike duo Johnny Sapazovski and Damir Lokvancic in the space of five minutes after the hour mark proved to be enough to send the Greens to fourth.


Ladder (after four rounds)

1 - Oakleigh Cannons                         +4        10 pts

2 - Hume City                                                +8        9 pts

3 - Richmond                                     +3        9 pts

4 - Bentleigh Greens                          +3        8 pts

5 - South Melbourne                          +1        6 pts


6 - Sunshine George Cross                 -1         5 pts

7 - Northcote City                              -1         4 pts

8 - Green Gully                                  -1         3 pts

9 - Dandenong Thunder                     -7         3 pts

10 - Altona Magic                              -2         2 pts


11 - Melbourne Knights                     -3         -1 pts

12 - Heidelberg United                      -4         -2 pts