Gold Coast played consistently through the game to score a goal in each half, both of which came from the penalty spot.

Glory lifted in the second half and retiring veteran Jamie Harnwell helped Adam Taggart get the hosts back in the match, but it was no more than a consolation goal.

Perth fielded a depleted team with Mile Sterjovski joining the absentee list, while Harnwell played his 256th and last game for the club.

Gold Coast were also without some of their players with Bas van den Brink deemed not fit with a sprained ankle and Joel Porter still suffering a hip injury.

Jacob Burns and Adriano Pellegrino worked the ball up the middle of the pitch to give Perth the chance to score first, but United's defence ensured there were few chances.

Taggart made a run towards the net with Dino Djulbic by his side, but his slow shot was too easy for Gold Coasts keeper Glen Moss to step out and get the ball out of trouble.

United finally got their first direct chance for a goal from the penalty spot in the 33rd minute. Harnwell was yellow carded after he felled Golgol Mebrahtu in the penalty area and Shane Smeltz had no troubles dispatching the spot kick.

Glory then stepped up their aggression with Pellegrino doing his best to level the scores only to see his fizzing shot skid wide.

Steven McGarry tried to deliver to Robbie Fowler, but the former England international missed the ball as his slid towards the goals leaving the home side down by one at the break.

Early in the second half McGarry went for the leveller, but didn't have the accuracy and then a second attempt skimmed the left post.

But it was Gold Coast who scored next when Glory defender Josh Mitchell brought Adama Traore down in the area and Smeltz once again found the back of the net to double his side's lead.

Glory couldn't catch a break with Naum Sekulovski carried off the pitch with a right leg injury.

Stand-in Perth coach Stuart Munro brought on some fresh faces late in the second half and it appeared to galvanise the home side with Tommy Amphlett almost instantly scoring as he made Moss work hard to keep the Glory off the scoresheet.

In the 75th minute Harnwell headed the ball to Taggart who slotted into an empty net to ensure a grandstand finish.

But there was no fairytale for the hosts as Gold Coast held on to a deserved victory.

Perth Glory 1 (Taggart 75')
Gold Coast United 2 (Smeltz 33' pen, 56' pen)
Crowd; 6617 @ nib Stadium