Brisbane were looking to bounce back from the previous week's disappointing result in Sydney against the Sky Blues, but in the end fell short of the mark.

The visitors had the first real opportunity of the match when James Virgili burst into the box, but the youngster dragged his shot wide of the goal with only the goalkeeper to beat.

The Jets made the early running, controlling possession and looking to break the Brisbane defensive line at every opportunity.

Gradually Roar began to impose themselves on the contest and after cutting in from the left, Jordan Farina drove a powerful shot at goal but Neil Young in the Jets' goal had it covered.

Much of Brisbane's attacking play was going down Farina's left flank as he continued to have a lively opening to the match.

Matt Acton was called into action on 29 minutes when Newcastle striker Jason Naidovski broke the offside trap.

Despite pressure from Matt Mundy, Naidovski got his shot away with only a fingertip save from Acton keeping the scores level.

There was plenty of feeling in the encounter with several solid challenges in the middle of the park.

While Newcastle looked the more likely side to create an opportunity with breaks into the Roar penalty area, chances in the match were few and far between in the opening half and the sides went into the break locked at 0-0.

The second half opened as the first had ended - with limited opportunities.

Both sides had an effort each from distance, but neither goalkeeper was seriously tested.

Adam Sarota did his best to ignite the contest on 65 minutes when he twisted and turned past three Jets defenders to create some space before unleashing a thunderbolt at goal, but Young beat the effort away to safety.

At the other end a short time later substitute Mirjan Pavlovic nearly had his name on the scoresheet when his deflected effort looped over Acton in the Roar goal but he could only watch the ball hit the crossbar.

A minute later the away side had the lead.

Naidovski got his head to a cross from the left, beating Acton in the air and with the ball bouncing goalward Umut Tokdogan tapped the ball into an open net.

Roar looked to bounce back immediately, but despite getting the ball into the box couldn't work a shooting opportunity.

The trend continued for the remainder of the match and the young Roar team ended the match empty-handed.