It was another tough day at the office for Roar on Sunday who were missing six regular first-team players through injury and illness.

Jason Hoffman opened the scoring after just eight minutes to give the Jets the early edge.

Roar worked their way back into the game and were rewarded for some industrious work on the stroke of half-time with a cracking strike from Dutchman Sergio van Dijk.

The match turned in the 58th minute when midfielder Robbie Kruse handled a goal-bound effort and was shown a straight red card by referee Chris Beath.

Ljubo Milicevic stepped up to the spot and slotted the ball home to restore the led for the away side.

Despite putting the Jets under pressure for the remainder of the match, Roar were unable to find an equaliser.

The loss on the pitch was not mirrored off the pitch where Brisbane Roar was active promoting the Call to Arms campaign to raise awareness of men's cancer issues.

Captain Craig Moore wore special boots for the match and these signed boots are now available for auction on eBay to raise funds for Cancer Council Queensland.

The link for the auction is:

Brisbane Roar 1 (Sergio van Dijk 45)

Newcastle Jets 2 (Jason Hoffman 8, Ljubo Milicevic 59 (pen.))

At Ballymore Stadium.

Brisbane Roar: 1. Liam Reddy, 2. Andrew Packer (14. Adam Sarota 66'), 3. Luke DeVere, 4. Craig Moore, 9. Sergio van Dijk, 12. Matt Mundy, 13. Henrique (19. Isaka Cernak 73'), 15. Matt McKay, 16. Bob Malcolm (25. Luke Brattan 66'), 17. Mitch Nichols, 24. Robbie Kruse.

Substitute (not used): 20. Griffin McMaster (gk).

 Yellow cards: Mitch Nichols (25').

 Red cards: Robbie Kruse (58').


Newcastle Jets: 1. Ben Kennedy, 3. Adam D'Apuzzo, 5. Ljubo Milicevic, 7. Jin-Hyung Song (21. Brodie Mooy 73'), 9. Sasho Petrovski (19. Jason Naidovski 68'), 11. Tarek Elrich, 12. Jobe Wheelhouse, 13. Shaun Ontong, 14. Angelo Costanzo, 16. Jason Hoffman (24. Nik Tsattalios 80'), 25. Peter Haynes.

Substitute (not used): 40. Ben McNamara (gk).

Yellow cards: Shaun Ontong (55'), Peter Haynes (85').

Red cards: Nil.

Referee: Chris Beath.