Burton Albion are planning for life without in-demand Jackson Irvine but claim they’ve not received any offers for the Socceroos midfielder.
Irvine has been linked with a series of suitors in recent weeks and reportedly was the subject of a bid from newly promoted Premier League club Brighton.
The 24-year-old enjoyed a breakout 2016-17 season with Burton, netting 10 goals and winning the club’s Player of the Year award in his maiden campaign in the Championship following his move from Scottish outfit Ross County.
Albion, though, are pragmatic about the reported interest and are planning ahead in case the Melbourne-born midfielder departs.
"We are planning as though he is going,” Burton assistant manager Andy Garner told the Burton Mail.
"Obviously, we've brought Lundy (Matty Lund) in and (Luke) Murphy has come in.
"If he doesn't go, then that would be fantastic for us because he scored a lot of goals last season and he's a great addition to our squad.
"It's a difficult one really – but we hope he stays, it's as simple as that."
Irvine, who was integral to helping the Brewers avoid relegation last term, has two years remaining on his Burton contract.
Garner clarified there had been no formal offers for Irvine, who reported back to pre-season training on Monday after an extended break following the Confederations Cup.
"I can't tell you anything with Jackson and that's me being 100% honest with you," Garner said.
"Like we say, we've not heard anything. Jackson made a comment in the paper that he's not heard anything.
"There's rumours about Brighton but, honestly, we've not heard anything of that at all and I'm sure the gaffer has not been contacted.”
Irvine has emerged as a key Socceroo this year too, making his first start and scoring his maiden international goal.
The former Celtic junior has 13 caps and one goal for Australia.