It was not until Henrique scored Brisbane third goal midway through the second half that Brisbane were secure.

Central Coast's chance of hosting the grand final suffered a huge blow in only the second minute when a long range freekick from Thomas Broich found the back of the net.

They went two up shortly after before the Mariners showed true fighting spirit to get back into the match.

The home side went into the contest full of hope but had the worst possible start when Broich scored the controversial opener.

Broich whipped in a free kick which evaded everyone, including Central Coast keeper Matt Ryan, with Mitch Nicholls bursting from an offside position to provide a decoy run.

The Mariners were fuming, insisting Nicholls had an impact on the defence despite not touching the ball as it beat Ryan.

Central Coast did not have their heads down for long and got straight back to business and created several chances.

However, the contest looked all but over when Nicholls made the most of a defence-splitting pass from Henrique to score the Roar's second in the 26th minute.

That second goal seemed to take the Mariners to another level. Within three minutes Patrick Zwaanswijk scored his seventh A-League goal of the season before Adam Kwasnik netted in the 32nd minute to bring the teams level.

The Mariners were rampant in the lead-up to half-time and had big claims for a penalty in the 41st minute.

A powerful Tomas Rogic shot struck Henrique's raised arm but referee Jarred Gillett ruled play on much to the frustration of the Mariners.

The all-out attack from the Mariners continued early in the second half with Rogic having two chances within four minutes of the resumption.

The Mariners midfielder came close again in the 61st minute and shortly after Oliver Bozanic shot just wide.

Despite all the effort the Mariners had their hopes crushed when Henrique slid home after a Besart Berisha pass in the 68th minute against the run of play.

The intensity did die down a little after the third goal but the Mariners still showed great spirit to go for an equaliser.

It was only Central Coast's second home loss of the season and they must now beat Perth next week to earn another crack at Brisbane in the grand final.

Brisbane 3 (Broich 2', Nicholls 26', Henrique 68')
Central Coast 2 (Zwaanswijk 29', Kwasnik 32')
Crowd: 9846