Smith opened the scoring in sensational fashion after just two minutes smashing a drive past Sydney United keeper Vedran Janjetovic from just inside the box.

And with a second half poacher’s goal from Olympic's Richard Luksic snuffed out any chances United had, winning 2-0 on the day.  

The goal and all-round performance from Smith caught the eye and ended a roller-coaster four weeks for the former Dallas FC attacking midfielder.

After his form earned him a contract with Gold Coast United, the A-League club controversially paid him out a month ago in order to bring in former Blackburn Rovers striker Maceo Rigters.

It’s meant Smith has spent much of the last few weeks flying back and forth from Sydney to the Gold Coast – where he currently still resides.

However, his goals in the NSW finals and against Sydney FC in a friendly have showed the 25-year-old still has the class to prove himself in Australia’s top flight.

“I just want to play, man. I’m not even a big fan of all these celebrations,” he told just moments after clinching the trophy.

“I’m happy to go anywhere in the A-League… I just want to better myself.”

The English-born American is officially a visa player in the A-League after three years living in Australia. He hopes his versatility and knack of scoring regularly will be his trump card.

“I’m can play anywhere in front of the back four,” Smith explained. “But man, I just want to play.

“It’s been a crazy month. I can’t even begin to explain how crazy it’s been. But good things come if you work hard.”

The grand final itself was delayed half an hour due to the large crowd build up outside Belmore sportsground.

But the match opened in stunning fashioin with Smith’s goal. Yet as a spectacle it petered out as Olympic successfully shut down United’s creative midfielders and made the most of chances that came their way. 

Sadly though for United they weren’t able to send out two of Aussie football's fabulous servants of the game – Mark Rudan and Ufuk Talay – on a winning note.

However the atmosphere created by the fans of two former NSL clubs was excellent and with no crowd trouble, or flares confiscated, during the game, NSW football’s showpiece event in front of a posted crowd of just over 10,000 can be considered a success.