Atletico were this week ordered by UEFA to play their next two matches in the competition at a neutral venue at least 300 kilometres away from the Spanish capital after trouble during their match against Marseille on October 1.

The decision brought protests from Liverpool over the short notice of the switch, as many fans have already made travel arrangements.

UEFA were quick to stress that the sanction has been suspended and not overturned, pending an Atletico appeal which will take place on October 31.

A UEFA statement read: "Following the decision of UEFA's Control and Disciplinary Body to sanction Club Atletico de Madrid for a series of incidents at the UEFA Champions League Group D match against Olympique de Marseille on 1 October, the club has lodged an appeal against the decision and requested suspension of the sanctions to allow their match against Liverpool FC to be played in Madrid as originally scheduled.

"After immediate consideration of the request for suspension, and having considered in particular the organisational and logistical difficulties related to relocating the Club Atletico de Madrid v Liverpool FC match to another venue at short notice, the chairman of the Appeals Body has decided to grant the request for suspension of the sanctions.

"Consequently, UEFA can confirm that the UEFA Champions League match between Club Atletico de Madrid and Liverpool FC will take place as scheduled on 22 October at the Vicente Calderon Stadium in Madrid.

"It should be emphasised that suspension of the sanctions does not mean that the decision of the Control and Disciplinary Body has been set aside. The decision remains in force pending a full hearing of the appeal which will take place on Friday 31 October at the UEFA Headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland.

"UEFA is however keen to stress that safety and security matters, including efficient cooperation with the police, are of the utmost priority and that there is a zero tolerance policy for incidents concerning racism in football.

"The match between Club Atletico de Madrid and Liverpool FC will be under particular scrutiny and UEFA is ready to take immediate and further action if there are any reported incidents at this match."

The punishment was issued after monkey chants were aimed at Marseille players and the French side's bus was also attacked following the match at the Calderon.

There were also outbreaks of violence as police clashed with visiting supporters.

In addition to the two game stadium ban, a third match was suspended while Atletico were handed a 150,000 euros fine.

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry immediately expressed his satisfaction that UEFA had listened to the club's concerns.

Parry told the club's website, "We're delighted at the decision because it means our fans can travel to the game as previously planned without additional expense or inconvenience.

"Liverpool are grateful for the help the FA have provided and pleased UEFA have listened to and acted on the arguments we put forward this week."